[Imap-protocol] reporting/detecting expunged messages

Mark Crispin MRC at CAC.Washington.EDU
Tue Sep 12 14:10:59 PDT 2006

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, Bill Shannon wrote:

> Most clients are incredibly stupid. Most of my time spent supporting

> JavaMail is spent finding bugs in servers that don't cause problems

> for any other clients, which of course leads people to believe the

> bug is in JavaMail. Most clients just treat IMAP as a glorified POP.

All true, especially the last point.

> 4.1.3 is worst for clients that try to do the right thing. I guess

> 4.1.2 is worst for stupid clients, which sadly is the majority.

Actually, 4.1.2 is troublesome for many clients simply because a NO
response to a FETCH isn't particularly meaningful or sensible.

4.1.3 has a compliance problem, since it generally creates an
inconsistency with sizes that were reported earlier. But it's less
difficult for many clients to cope with.

> I'd be happy to have both 4.1.2 and 4.1.3 declared as not allowed

> behavior.

Sold! ;-)

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc