[Imap-protocol] reporting/detecting expunged messages

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Tue Sep 12 14:34:35 PDT 2006

On Tue Sep 12 22:25:59 2006, Mark Crispin wrote:

> RFC 1064 and 1176 had some text outlining the right way to go about

> looking at the roles of client and server in IMAP. But I took so

> much criticism about how I did not "understand" the architecture of

> IMAP(!) that I removed that text in RFC 1730. [The critics in

> question are no longer active members of the IMAP community.]

If it makes you feel better, I went back to those descriptions when
designing Polymer, and found them very useful.

> In the online model, a client starts with empty state. In the

> disconnected model, the client has some remembered state and has to

> synchronize that remembered state with the server's state.

FWIW, Polymer does both, in as much as it's an online client that
manages to persist its cache between sessions. It still doesn't do
anticipatory fetching, although I keep meaning to start putting that
in.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at jabber.org
- http://dave.cridland.net/