[Imap-protocol] reporting/detecting expunged messages

Mark Crispin MRC at CAC.Washington.EDU
Tue Sep 12 14:43:13 PDT 2006

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

> Bill Shannon writes:

>> I'd be happy to have both 4.1.2 and 4.1.3 declared as not allowed behavior.

> That would leave us with only 4.1.1 and 4.1.4, which make it practically

> impossible to delete a message. I don't like the security implications of

> that.

It would require an extremely abusive client to cause that result; one
that was active but only did FETCH, STORE, and SEARCH commands for an
extended period of time, thus blocking the untagged EXPUNGE.

To date, this has not been a problem.

If this were to become a problem, a server would be perfectly within its
rights to set a maximum time that this could go on, and when the time is
exceeded it issues an untagged BYE.

I would not mind adding text to that effect to the base specification if
there is concensus that such text is a good idea.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.