[Imap-protocol] reporting/detecting expunged messages

Mark Crispin MRC at CAC.Washington.EDU
Tue Sep 12 15:23:03 PDT 2006

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, Bill Shannon wrote:

> A test suite that tested the consensus essential functionality would

> find a great many server bugs and would be of great benefit to customers

> evaluating and using IMAP servers.

Ah, but if the "essential functionality" is anything less than the full
capability of RFC 3501 you will have to find "concensus". I think that
you will encounter vigorous objection to any subset, no matter what you
pick from RFC 3501 to leave out. I'd be one of the objectors...

>> A common server defies the specification in multiple places; when the

>> violations are pointed out its author's answer is "yawn" or accusations of

>> FUD-spreading. There isn't much can be done in that case. If a test suite

>> was produced, such people would attack the motivations of the authors of

>> the test suite rather than fix the problems.

> I already don't even waste time debugging problems related to *that*

> server, because they always turn out to be bugs in the server.

Ha! Note how nobody needs to name the server in question, we just all
know which one it is. That server is the Voldemort of the IMAP world...

> A test

> suite would allow customers to apply some pressure to the server vendor.

Perhaps. I'm a bit more pessimistic.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.