[Imap-protocol] what if / were my server's "home directory"?

Abhijit Menon-Sen ams at oryx.com
Wed Sep 13 23:04:31 PDT 2006

Our IMAP server uses a conventional mailbox hierarchy, where each user's
"home directory" is /users/name (that is, an empty reference argument to
LIST is intepreted as /users/name), and a user's personal mailboxes may
be accessed either as foo or /users/name/foo.

What would happen if we started interpreting an empty reference as "/"?

That is, every mailbox would have just one name. /users/foo/bar, or
/archives/imap-protocol, or whatever. Would clients be able to cope
with not being able to "CREATE Drafts" or whatever? (I'm told that
isn't possible with Cyrus anyway, so it should be OK, but I haven't
tested.)

Does anyone see a problem with such a layout?

-- ams