[Imap-protocol] reporting/detecting expunged messages

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Fri Sep 15 07:00:36 PDT 2006

On Fri Sep 15 02:57:15 2006, Mark Crispin wrote:

> In my opinion, the minimum period should be between 5 and 30

> minutes. NAT has pretty much made it non-viable to go idle for

> more than 5 minutes.

I'm not sure that's true anymore. Specifically, I know that Linux's
NAT implementation, which accounts for several of the common DSL
routers, doesn't timeout a silent connection until a matter of days.

It might be interesting to talk to the NAT implementors, and see what
timeouts they're actually using these days.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at jabber.org
- http://dave.cridland.net/