[Imap-protocol] reporting/detecting expunged messages

Mark Crispin mrc at CAC.Washington.EDU
Fri Sep 15 07:10:02 PDT 2006

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006, Dave Cridland wrote:

>> In my opinion, the minimum period should be between 5 and 30 minutes. NAT

>> has pretty much made it non-viable to go idle for more than 5 minutes.

> I'm not sure that's true anymore. Specifically, I know that Linux's NAT

> implementation, which accounts for several of the common DSL routers, doesn't

> timeout a silent connection until a matter of days.

I would expect that Linux plays nice.

That doesn't apply to the non-Linux DSL routers and standalone NAT boxes
out there. An attacker can make a Linksys box toss its NAT mappings in a
matter of seconds from previous activity.

You can't assume that they're all Linux, so all is well. Linux based
boxes are the minority. FWIW, Linksys used Linux for a while, and then
went back to a proprietary OS. So it isn't clear what the trend actually
is.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc