[Imap-protocol] Avoiding connection-loss

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Sep 18 08:42:20 PDT 2006

On Mon Sep 18 16:22:40 2006, Mark Crispin wrote:

> The workaround for this problem is, after 29 minutes with no new

> mail, to send a fake EXISTS that alleges that there is one new

> message. Then, when the client issues a DONE to exit IDLE mode,

> send a fake EXPUNGE to revoke that "new message". This will cause

> that client to issue a new idle.

Whilst I'm impressed at the devious nature of that workaround, it
occurs to be that you'd have to be fairly careful, since:

1) You'd have to ensure the EXPUNGE was sent prior to the tagged OK
of the IDLE. Easy enough, but:

2) You'd also have to increment UIDNEXT etc in order to avoid
confusing the client later.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at jabber.org
- http://dave.cridland.net/