[Imap-protocol] Interesting gmail IMAP RFC 2047 encoding

Brendan Cully brendan at kublai.com
Tue Dec 4 14:15:52 PST 2007

I've just received a spate of complaints from mutt users that that
non-ascii addresses are not being decoded in the index view, but are
in the message view. Apparently gmail is encoding them differently
depending on whether BODY.PEEK is given a filter or not:

7> a0007 FETCH 1:111 (UID FLAGS INTERNALDATE RFC822.SIZE BODY.PEEK[HEADER.FIELDS (DATE FROM SUBJECT TO CC MESSAGE-ID REFERENCES CONTENT-TYPE CONTENT-DESCRIPTION IN-REPLY-TO REPLY-TO LINES LIST-POST X-LABEL)])
7< * 111 FETCH (UID 573 RFC822.SIZE 2233 INTERNALDATE "04-Dec-2007 21:51:57 +0000" FLAGS (\Seen) BODY[HEADER.FIELDS (DATE FROM SUBJECT TO CC MESSAGE-ID REFERENCES CONTENT-TYPE CONTENT-DESCRIPTION IN-REPLY-TO REPLY-TO LINES LIST-POST X-LABEL)] {299}