[Imap-protocol] Subscriptions in IMAP

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jun 1 16:01:57 PDT 2007

On 1.6.2007, at 23.55, Mark Crispin wrote:

> My personal belief is that subscription list abuse came about

> because of a certain individual's misunderstanding of warning about

> not using the * wildcard in LIST. Said individual interpreted

> "LIST * is inefficient" as meaning "do the inefficient LIST * once,

> then put it in the subscription list so it doesn't have to be done

> again." This represented a complete misunderstanding as to why the

> * wildcard is bad.

Are you planning on updating IMAP4rev1 anytime soon? I joined this
list just before RFC 3501 was released, so I don't know how the
previous revisions have started. This and some other things could
probably be written a bit differently to be more easily
understandable. Some things could probably be even removed, such as
APPEND talking about requiring to preserve 8bit data.