[Imap-protocol] FLAGS & PERMANENTFLAGS in IMAP4rev1

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Jun 13 07:03:15 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 14:39 +0200, Karl Hiramoto wrote:

> Hello all,

> I'm writing a IMAP client that is a virus/spam scanner. My plan is to

> scan where i have write access, and to mark messages with a flag

> MyScanner or something, to signify that it is scanned, and does not need

> to be scanned again. If it is a positive spam or virus hit, i will

> store changes to the message.

> My question is if anyone sees problems doing this, and how many servers

> that are in use today do not support custom permanent flags? My

> testing so far with courier looks like it will work..

All the widely used open source IMAP servers support keywords: Cyrus,
Courier, UW-IMAP and Dovecot. I don't know about the less commonly used
or commercial servers.

> If the server does not support custom permanent flags, what i could do,

> is store changes to the email header.

I don't think it's a very good idea. It requires downloading the message
and them uploading it back. Rather just report "Your IMAP server doesn't
support keywords, switch to a better one".