[Imap-protocol] Mailbox root name

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Jun 25 06:58:32 PDT 2007

What exactly is the use for mailbox root names? It seems like it should
be exactly the same as the namespace prefix. UW-IMAP anyway does
something weird:

1 LIST hello/world/ ""

It returns "hello/" as the mailbox root, even if hello doesn't exist.
Why? Does Pine really depend on this? I remember I changed Dovecot to do
this a few years ago because Pine wouldn't work otherwise correctly with
~/mail/ or mail/ or similar folder collection paths (I used to return ""
as root). Now that I'm looking over the code I'm just wondering why.