[Imap-protocol] Namespace separators

Mark Crispin mrc at CAC.Washington.EDU
Mon Jun 25 09:49:11 PDT 2007

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> Another question about weird namespace configurations:

> * NAMESPACE (("#mbox/" "/") ("#maildir." ".")) NIL NIL

> If LIST "" % returns nothing, should LIST "" "" return something? Or

> should some namespace always be assigned visible to root so LIST "" %

> works?

Since the empty namespace is the default namespace, LIST "" "" should
return something. INBOX is part of the default namespace, although it has
special semantics (in particular, case-independency).

In your example, I see not particular benefit to having both #mbox/ and
#maildir. . One or the other should be the default namespace. Actually,
AFAICT, both types of names can be in the default namespace as long as you
agree to use / as the hierarchy delimiter for maildir names; presumably
these names correspond to UNIX filesystem objects and not something else.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc