[Imap-protocol] Re: [yam] draft-daboo-srv-email: POP3S/IMAPS?

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon Jan 18 09:17:02 PST 2010

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010, Ned Freed wrote:

> Is smtps as widely deployed as pops or imaps? If it is then yes, it should be

> in there. But if it isn't - and my experience has been that it isn't - then

> there's no need.

Any sites that want to support secure message submission for versions of
Outlook older than the 2007 have to support smtps. Older Outlook will only
do SMTP+STARTTLS on port 25, and will only do smtps on other ports.
Outlook Express / Windows Live Mail / etc. has the same problem though I
don't know which version fixed it.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch <dot at dotat.at> http://dotat.at/
GERMAN BIGHT HUMBER: SOUTHWEST 5 TO 7. MODERATE OR ROUGH. SQUALLY SHOWERS.