[Imap-protocol] LIST wildcards with mUTF-7

Mark Crispin mrc+imap at panda.com
Thu May 13 08:34:35 PDT 2010

I think that it is hopeless to get wildcards working in any reasonable way
with mUTF-7 strings, except for wildcards that occupy a complete level of
hierarchy. Fortunately, the latter wildcards are the vast majority of
cases with most clients.

Rather than try to make mUTF-7 better, I feel that we should move more
towards replacing US-ASCII as the baseline IMAP character set with UTF-8,
and leave mUTF-7 as something that only needs to be done with old servers
(if the client bothers to do i18n with old servers at all).

The problem that I see is a tendency by the WG to overengineer the task at
hand. RFC 5738 is jawdropping in this respect.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc