[Imap-protocol] Namespace questions

Mark Crispin mrc+imap at panda.com
Wed May 19 13:18:07 PDT 2010

On Wed, 19 May 2010, Pete Maclean wrote:

> The one end-user product I have that incorporates the server is used

> primarily with clients on mobile devices. In this case I am inclined

> to not cross namespaces primarily just to limit the amount of data

> sent in LIST responses.

It may be more work than you want to undertake right now, but it very much
sounds to me that a chimera type solution, such as what I did in my new
server, would work best for your end users.

It's more what the end users will want anyway. Namespaces were designed
to solve a specific problem, not to force its use. It's unfortunate that
it was overloaded to incorporate "here's how to find other users" and
"here's how to find public mailboxes".

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc