[Imap-protocol] Where to start?

Lynn W. Taylor Lynn at BusCom.net
Sun Jun 5 10:37:05 PDT 2011

On 6/5/2011 10:19 AM, Lynn W. Taylor wrote:

> On 6/5/2011 9:57 AM, Derek Konigsberg wrote:

>> On 6/5/2011 9:43 AM, Lynn W. Taylor wrote:

>>> I need to implement IMAP as part of an existing project, and I need a

>>> tiny bit of practical guidance.

>>> Simply adopting existing code isn't really an option, so I'll be

>>> implementing from scratch.

>>> IMAP has a lot of features. Which features should I implement first,

>>> and at what point do I have something to start testing?

>>> Thanks in advance for any insight.

>> It might first be a good idea to clarify whether you're implementing a

>> client or a server.

> Sorry. Server.

P.S. I'm not looking for a complete roadmap, I can fill in most of the
detail.

Tags and UIDs are not a big deal.

What I want to do is get enough IMAP working that I can start testing
with a client, even if the server isn't 100% practical, instead of
implementing some critical command last, and finding out that I made
some critical mistake very early in the process.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-- Lynn