[Imap-protocol] Where to start?

Joshua Cranmer Pidgeot18 at verizon.net
Sun Jun 5 13:59:56 PDT 2011

On 6/5/2011 12:58 PM, Lynn W. Taylor wrote:

> I'm not in a position to specify clients. I'll likely do my initial

> testing with Thunderbird unless someone warns me that it's a poor choice.

My recommendation, having done this before (I wrote the initial test
IMAP server for Thunderbird), is start by using telnet as your client
for the protocol. You're going to need to get a fair amount working
before a client will know how to handle your server: command parsing (I
think I did this first), capabilities, login, list, lsub, fetch, uid,
etc. Starting by typing everything manually lets you control the order
in which things work.

Oh, and be sure to test that command parser thoroughly. UTF-7 is that
annoying.

--
Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth