[Imap-protocol] Where to start?

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at orthanc.ca
Mon Jun 6 10:47:33 PDT 2011

> Testing with telnet is going to verify that my server works the way I think

> it should. It doesn't validate my understanding of RFC-3501.

It could. During the days of the IMAP interop meetings, telnet was my
tool of destruction for many (many!) server implementations. Look through
the 3501 grammar for every instance of <number> and <nz-number>. Next,
telnet to any IMAP server and hand craft a series of commands that
exercise the edge cases of those two tokens.

For starters, send a command containing a <[nz-]number> token with the
high bit set. The results can be spectacular :-(

--lyndon