[Imap-protocol] Where to start?

Tim Showalter tjs at psaux.com
Mon Jun 6 14:15:09 PDT 2011

On 6/5/11 12:58 PM, Lynn W. Taylor wrote:

> The mailstore is in RFC-2822 format. There is a UID, and it's cast in

> jello -- it can be changed so that the POP3 server uses an IMAP

> compatible UIDL. I think I can keep the UIDs unique and ascending as

> required in the RFC.

Ancient versions of Cyrus used only the UID as a UIDL value, and it can
cause problems when a user is moved from one POP server to a new host.
POP has no equivalent to UIDVALIDITY, and the only way to blow the cache
is to change all the UIDL values.

If you use the UIDVALIDITY+UID as a UIDL scheme, that works pretty well.

Tim