[Imap-protocol] Cyrus and RFC5255

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Tue Nov 1 09:51:59 PDT 2011

On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 09:33:40AM -0700, Mark Crispin wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Nov 2011, Bron Gondwana wrote:

> >>RFC 5255 explicitly requires that you apply i;unicode-casemap in searches

> >>as part of level 1 compliance.

> >The response when I mentioned it to our project manager was "it's often nice

> >not to worry about a vs å when searching - and have it find both".

> Careful.

yeah, whatever. Basically, this is a "implement something that behaves
the same as what was there before". I'll throw a bunch of test cases at
the two sets of code and make sure they work the same.

> It also formalized, and moderately amended, what Cyrus has done from its

> inception in searching Unicode strings.

No - Cyrus had this:

https://github.com/brong/cyrus-imapd/commit/d988fd9f1fc9a3ca4a0f453e188f2821e050af33#diff-1

(still does actually, that's my rfc5051 branch, which isn't integrated
to mainline)

That's what I'm trying to maintain compatibility with, so users don't
see any difference on existing installs.

> If you want to get into the type of matching you are talking about, you

> will wind up needing to do a full-fledged implementation of i18n collation

> and comparison, which more likely that not includes locale sensitivity.

> This is not something to be half-assed or hackish on. There are standards

> and rules; and in some cases these are enforced in national laws.

I would love to do that - but one thing at a time.

> I strongly urge you, BEFORE embarking upon such a project, to get involved

> with the various groups involved with i18n collation and comparison and

> seek their advice.

Definitely. It might not even be me doing this. I just want to make
sure that the design leaves the possibility open.

Bron.