[Imap-protocol] [noob] select & unseen?

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Mon Nov 7 00:18:42 PST 2011

On Sunday, November 06, 2011 5:11 PM, "Mark Crispin" <mrc+imap at panda.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Nov 2011, David Harris wrote:

> > Simple commonsense dictates that the

> > intention of the RFC must be that [UNSEEN] is mandatory *if the

> > mailbox contains any unread messages*, but that it *must* in fact be

> > *omitted* otherwise.

> David is correct; a little bit of common sense goes a long way. That seems

> to be lacking in certain individuals who, given a choice between a common

> sense answer and an absurd answer, invariably choose the absurd.

RFC 3501 says " If this is missing, the
client can not make any assumptions about the first
unseen message in the mailbox, and needs to issue a
SEARCH command if it wants to find it. "

That means there is NO WAY for the server to communicate "there are no
unseen messages in this mailbox" in an unambiguous way.

> Such was the UNSEEN response. RFC 4731 is a far superior mechanism

> (although it has its own warts). I would be very surprised if any client

> uses the UNSEEN response (its intended purpose was to position the view at

> the first unread message). The client that used it has to fetch the flags

> for all messages anyway for other purposes, so it doesn't need it any

> more.

Unfortunately, all these warts are required to be supported - and common sense
is a cop-out. There is no reading of RFC3501 which gives a correct answer to
this - hence my assertion that a fully complient server is required to
immediately disconnect any client issuing a "SELECT" for a mailbox which doesn't
contain unseen messages. They can always append a new message to the mailbox
and make sure they don't mark it seen if necessary.

Bron ( workarounds 'r' us )
--
Bron Gondwana
brong at fastmail.fm