[Imap-protocol] SELECT/EXAMINE clarification of UNSEEN

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Tue Nov 15 05:48:00 PST 2011

On Tuesday, November 15, 2011 8:27 AM, "John Snow" <snowjn at aol.com> wrote:

> I disagree with the "musts", or at least it's inconsistent.

My intention was to stick with the REQUIRED verbiage. But I'm happy
with SHOULD.

> The first paragraph says the unseen response must be sent if there are

> any unseen. This makes the second paragraph unnecessary. If the unseen

> response is missing, the client doesn't have to assume anything. It can

> know that there are no unseen.

Or that it's talking to pre-rfc3501 server. Mark said that the wording
about needing a search was added in response to a previous uncertainty
about how to respond to this field. I'd like his comment on how best
to handle that.

I'd be happy to cut the "if this is missing" part, and say "you can assume
there are no unseen if this field isn't sent", but negative assumptions
suck.

If I was starting from scratch:

OK [UNSEEN NIL]

But then if I was starting from scratch, and it was my "baby", I wouldn't
do it like this anyway.

Bron.
--
Bron Gondwana