[Imap-protocol] SELECT/EXAMINE clarification of UNSEEN

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Nov 15 17:48:22 PST 2011

On 16.11.2011, at 3.21, Mark Crispin wrote:

> If you think that you are smarter than me and can do a better job, then by

> all means go ahead and do it. I've watched at least four IMAP-replacement

> projects launch with great fanfare and bombast only to wither away into

> nothing. There were probably more; I haven't bothered to count but the

> four are the ones that I distinctly remember.

> Eventually one of these will succeed.

> It will NOT be one that launches with fanfare and bombast. It will be

> something that nobody hears of for years. Its architect will be too busy

> DOING to boast about how much better a job he will do. His time is going

> to be spent, not in reacting to IMAP but rather in solving the completely

> new problems encountered in the process of his own design.

> IMAP spent at least 5 years in that stage.

I've thought about this a few times, but so far I haven't thought of anything significantly better than IMAP. There are some specific features that I'd like, but most of those can be implemented with some simple (maybe non-standard) IMAP extensions.. MSNs still seem like a good idea, although UIDs possibly could be strings (but then can you copy the same mail into same mailbox to create a duplicate UID?) Keyword = mailbox mapping might be nice. Using more command pipelining would be nice (e.g. search <stuff> | store <here>).