[Imap-protocol] SELECT/EXAMINE clarification of UNSEEN

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Nov 16 00:33:08 PST 2011

On Wed Nov 16 02:24:17 2011, Mark Crispin wrote:

> My understanding is that Google perceived keywords as not commonly

> implemented, and thus needing to do view/mailbox mapping. It's been

> major problem; a classic case of kludge tower building because it

> was

> perceived that they couldn't do it right to begin with.

I thought this at one point, but I recall seeing somewhere that the
limitation was that keywords are pure ASCII, compared to mailbox
names (and Google tags or whatever they're called) which are full
unicode, contain spaces, etc.

Personally I think Google are big enough that fixing this problem
"properly" (ie, a more free-text naming of FLAGS via the standards
process) would have been viable, but the desire of many companies
(Google included) to assume that marketing splash always trumps
technical merit means that a kludge they can release without
consultation trumps revealing some portion of the plan, or releasing
incrementally, but with a better design.

I do understand the pressure, and sympathize with it, but I still
find it annoying how little the technical argument counts for,
especially when it's a standardization issue, and these companies are
often too happy to talk about how much they support open standards.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
- http://dave.cridland.net/