newbie question

Cliff cliffo at u.washington.edu
Wed May 3 23:31:03 PDT 2000

Hmm, not sure. The only time I've needed to play with modules.conf is when I
have to set specific options for my sound card or something...other than those
few instances, I've never had trouble with modprobe (esp. w/ network cards).

But as to identifying the card...I would take a close look at the largest chip
on the NIC and get both the manufacturer, and the numbers off the chip. I've
found that you can dig up all kinds of information with a chip number. You'll
have to remove it to do this, so I would only bother if you can't get pnpdump to
work for you.

Cliff