newbie question

Mike Hornung mike at boobaz.net
Wed May 3 23:37:37 PDT 2000

I'm certain you don't need an /etc/conf.modules or /etc/modules.conf to
use modprobe. In the absence of one of those files, 'modprobe 3c59x' for
exmaple would work fine. Although if you do have one of those files and
want to use it, you can just load the modules from that file (like is done
at boot). A new note from the man page (wonder of wonders) is:

modprobe -t net
Load one of the modules that are stored in the
directory tagged "net". Each module are tried
until one succeed (default: /lib/modules/net).

Looks promising.

---------------------------
-=<(| mike at boobaz.net |)>=-

On Wed, 3 May 2000, R. David Whitlock wrote:

|Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't modprobe only work if you have

|correctly generated the modules.conf file?

|-David

|On Wed, 3 May 2000, Mike Hornung wrote:

|> Is it an ISA card or PCI? If it's ISA I recommend running 'pnpdump' to

|> see what cards are detected. This can be extremely helpful. Rather than

|> using 'insmod' to load a kernel module, you're better off using 'modprobe'

|> which is courteous enough to load other required modules, to meet

|> dependencies, for you.

|> ---------------------------

|> -=<(| mike at boobaz.net |)>=-

|> On Wed, 3 May 2000, Kjell Konis wrote:

|> |First of all I would like to thank everyone who sent me distribution

|> |recommendations. I ended up using my neighbor's RedHat 6.1 because

|> |Bulldog didn't have Maximum Linux.

|> |

|> |Now for my question. How do I figure out what kind of NIC I have? I took

|> |the case off my computer and looked at the card (I didn't actually remove

|> |it) but I didn't see a label. Do I need to look harder? Is there some

|> |utility that will do this for me?

|> |

|> |Once I figure out what kind of card it is do I just find the module with

|> |the same name (in /lib/modules/version/net) and insmod it?

|> |

|> |TIA

|> |

|> |Kjell