newbie question

Kjell Konis wackyboy at u.washington.edu
Thu May 4 19:01:08 PDT 2000

This was very helpful. In fact I am writing from my new linux box right
now. If you look at the man page for modprobe it says you need a
modules.dep file to use modprobe and you do. Using depmod -a generates it
automatically. Is there a "real" way to tell linux to load a module at
startup? Here is what I am doing: I put this at the end of rc.local.

depmod -a
modprobe /lib/.../3c509.o
ifup eth0

It works.