problems with lilo on large (> 4GB) disk

Shawn A. Wilson lannocc at u.washington.edu
Mon May 8 00:38:02 PDT 2000

Greetings,

I recently installed Red Hat Linux 6.2 but am having difficulty with LILO. I
believe the reason I am experiencing problems is because my linux partition
is located past the 1024 sector. I have linux installed on /dev/hda7. In the
installation process, I had LILO installed in the MBR. However, when the
computer starts, I get only "LI" with the HD LED a steady red, but no
apparent disk activity. I can't type anything, and waiting accomplishes
nothing either. I can only restart. So... I booted off the linux boot floppy
which successfully loaded linux from /dev/hda7. I then edited /etc/lilo.conf
to install LILO on /dev/hda7 instead of the MBR, and ran "lilo". I then used
a win boot disk to run "fdisk /mbr" to restore my MBR, and loaded into
windows, then tsetup PowerQuest BootMagic and added an entry for Linux on
the boot menu. On restart, I could get into Windows okay from BootMagic, but
when selecting Linux (which I believe runs the boot sector off my linux
partition, right?) it still just shows "LI" and freezes.

Is there a way I can boot into linux from either LILO on the MBR, or
BootMagic on the MBR and LILO on /dev/hda7? The linux partition is in the
extended partition (hence hda7 and not 1-4) and occupies the last 2GB of a
14GB EIDE drive. I don't know much about LBA or anything, but the
autodetection utility of my BIOS detects the drive as an LBA mode drive. Is
that correct?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Shawn Wilson