problems with lilo on large (> 4GB) disk

Eric J. Smith ejs at cs.washington.edu
Mon May 8 03:54:30 PDT 2000

I highly recommend everyone checkout the Mandrake cooker, its much better
than rh6.2 in sooo many ways its not even funny. the cooker (for those
that dont know this) is the on going developement version. the latest beta
iso that is available is 7.1 beta 2 but i dont recommend you get this one.
better is to use rsync -av ftp.sunet.se::Mandrake-devel/cooker/
/wherever/you/want/

this will mirror the current cooker (do this command a couple times in a
row to make sure packages weren't updated while you were mirroring), then
change into the /wherever/you/want/images folder and make a boot disk
using the hd.img image with this command...

dd if=hd.img of=/dev/fd0

then reboot, and follow the instructions. this distribution will amaze you
i gaurantee it.

Cheers,
Eric.

Oh, incidentally, it installs a boot loader called grub which does not
have the 1024 cylinder limitation.