procmail recipe

Parker Thompson parkert at u.washington.edu
Mon May 8 18:01:42 PDT 2000

I would recommend against using procmail, it's an antiquated piece of
[poop]. One option you have is using a program called mailfilt. It is
being developed here (UW) and I've been using it for about a year. If
you're interested in server-side email filtering this is 10 times better
than procmail. You can get the source and learn more here:

https://depts.washington.edu/proctest/doc/mailfilt.html

If your users are using pine you can also check out pine's client-side
filtering options and distribute a generic pinerc but that assumes the
same client. I'm a big fan of server-side solutions such as procmail or
mailfilt.

As for being processor intensive there's really no way around that if you
want to filter server-side. Realisitically the desktop is the best place
to do everything because there is so much unused processor power, but it's
hard to centerally maintain desktops without setting up a more elaborate
system than you probably want...I'd stick with server-side filtering and
just beef up your server.

Parker.
What if the matrix were made up of sentient mathematical equations
rather than people:
f(x): When I am ready, will I be able to perform Reimann summation?

g(x): When you are ready, you won't have to...