eth hanging on shutdown

Adam Stenseth lynx at u.washington.edu
Wed May 17 23:46:39 PDT 2000

Actually, got it figured out(more or less...).

Apparently Pump(DHCP/BOOTP manager) was jumping up at startup(called from
ifup, as usual) and sucking up rather ridiculous amounts of system
resources(98%+ CPU). Whenever I killed it, shutdown wouldn't hang on
eth0. It still seems to startup consuming an obscene amount of CPU, but
killing it does the trick without affecting anything else on the
system. In the mean time, I've just been mucking with ifconfig trying to
figure out if something's set funky with the card.

-Adam

How many Zen masters does it take to screw in a light bulb?

None. The Universe spins the bulb, and the Zen master stays out of
the way.