eth hanging on shutdown

Mike Hornung mike at boobaz.net
Thu May 18 00:20:26 PDT 2000

Pump does much more than just obtaining an IP address for you to use. It
maintains your DHCP lease and bad things would most likely happen were you
to kill it after having discovered an IP address to use (and other
appropriate network settings required for network connectivity).

That being the case I recommend you try to fix the performance issues
instead. Whee!

---------------------------
-=<(| mike at boobaz.net |)>=-

On Thu, 18 May 2000, Adam Stenseth wrote:

| Not really; pump, it seems, is essential for DHCP(as could be

|surmised from the entry in ifcfg-eth0). I have a static IP I could use

|instead, but given the nature of the machine I'm using, being able to read

|DHCP would be rather helpful.

| So Pump needs to be run at startup, just to get the network

|information from the DHCP servers; but is not essential after that. Would

|it be better to try to get it to behave normally, or find a way to kill it

|after it's completed it's appointed task?

| -Adam

|Why did the Lord give us so much quickness of movement unless it was to

|avoid responsibility with?

|On Wed, 17 May 2000, Christopher Twigg wrote:

|> Subject: Re: eth hanging on shutdown

|> Are you trying to keep it from calling pump on startup? It's in

|> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 if it's RedHat; change it from:

|> BOOTPROTO=dhcp

|> BOOTPROTO=none

|> .

|> Christopher Twigg

|> cdtwigg at u.washington.edu

|> On Wed, 17 May 2000, Adam Stenseth wrote:

|> > Actually, got it figured out(more or less...).

|> > Apparently Pump(DHCP/BOOTP manager) was jumping up at startup(called from

|> > ifup, as usual) and sucking up rather ridiculous amounts of system

|> > resources(98%+ CPU). Whenever I killed it, shutdown wouldn't hang on

|> > eth0. It still seems to startup consuming an obscene amount of CPU, but

|> > killing it does the trick without affecting anything else on the

|> > system. In the mean time, I've just been mucking with ifconfig trying to

|> > figure out if something's set funky with the card.

|> > -Adam

|> > How many Zen masters does it take to screw in a light bulb?

|> > None. The Universe spins the bulb, and the Zen master stays out of

|> > the way.

|> > > |

> [...]

|> > > |

|> > > |