Red Hat kernel issues..

Andy Davidson andy at achtung.nosignal.org.uk
Mon May 29 13:04:43 PDT 2000

I have a system with Red Hat 5.2 installed, and I am trying to recompile
the kernel to add various options (including the ones necessary to use my
writer and soundcard).

I have downloaded the kernel 2.2.15, in order to try to let me do this.

Initially, running make menuconfig would throw up a great deal of errors,
namely missing files. I copied files across from another system's
/usr/include, which although has satisfied a number of the problems, has
led to more missing files. (I enclose a copy of the output).

Now, were I to compile the latest version of glibc, would it replace the
missing header files? Also, should the latest kernel headers be present
in /usr/include or something else?

I don't want to use a precompiled version of glibc, or the kernel if I can
at all avoid it. There's nothing more sexy than a raw tarball.

(Ahem).

I include a copy of the output from the make menuconfig command.

rm -f include/asm
( cd include ; ln -sf asm-i386 asm)
make -C scripts/lxdialog all
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.2.15/scripts/lxdialog'
gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -DLOCALE -DCURSES_LOC="<ncurses.h>" -c lxdialog.c -o lxdialog.o
In file included from lxdialog.c:22:
dialog.h:22: sys/types.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /usr/include/fcntl.h:26,
from dialog.h:23,
from lxdialog.c:22:
/usr/include/features.h:205: sys/cdefs.h: No such file or directory
/usr/include/features.h:219: gnu/stubs.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /usr/include/fcntl.h:33,
from dialog.h:23,
from lxdialog.c:22:
/usr/include/fcntlbits.h:23: sys/types.h: No such file or directory
In file included from dialog.h:24,
from lxdialog.c:22:
/usr/include/unistd.h:148: gnu/types.h: No such file or directory
In file included from dialog.h:26,
from lxdialog.c:22:
/usr/include/stdlib.h:210: sys/types.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /usr/include/libio.h:31,
from /usr/include/stdio.h:29,
from /usr/include/ncurses.h:71,
from dialog.h:29,
from lxdialog.c:22:
/usr/include/_G_config.h:9: gnu/types.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /usr/include/stdio.h:29,
from /usr/include/ncurses.h:71,
from dialog.h:29,
from lxdialog.c:22:
/usr/include/libio.h:56: sys/cdefs.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [lxdialog.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.2.15/scripts/lxdialog'
make: *** [menuconfig] Error 2

--
Andy Davidson <andy at nosignal.org.uk>