Red Hat kernel issues..

Christopher Twigg cdtwigg at u.washington.edu
Mon May 29 13:36:38 PDT 2000

Be aware that rolling one's own version of glibc is a leading cause for
complete OS reinstalls. If you're _really_ determined to do it, you'll
probably want to find one of the online documents that details this. In
my personal opinion, though, you're really using the wrong distro if
you're deterined to roll tarballs for _everything_, since RedHat is so
much happier when you use RPM (although compiling your own kernel is
certainly a reasonable thing to do). Slackware might be a better choice
for someone who wants to start from ground 0.

As for the 2.2 kernels, unless something has changed recently, they will
run fine on RedHat 5.2 with glibc2.0 once you upgrade certain tools
(RedHat has a list somewhere or other), but that's not even a big deal
(mostly the new kernel breaks things that are dependent on the procfs,
like ps and ifconfig). I used to use 2.2.5 or so on a RedHat 5.2 machine
and it was perfectly happy. I believe there are certain features that
require the latest glibc to work, but these will simply be disabled. If
you're still having trouble compiling a kernel, make sure you have all the
relevant -devel packages (including the x86 asm tools; this one always
gets me).

Christopher Twigg
cdtwigg at u.washington.edu