our webpage... sorta...

Jess Rehr jr at u.washington.edu
Tue Dec 4 10:05:57 PST 2001

Chris--

Nice quick work on the LUG logo prototype, buuuuuuut... UW logos are not
distributed under GPL yet! ; )

As a result, all UW Husky logos and emblems are highly protected by UW trademark
office (http://depts.washington.edu/uwlogos/). *This is not to say you CANNOT
use them for such non-profit student activities as UWLUG, but rather you are
restricted in HOW you may use them.* Yes, I know this is annoying but it
involves trademark lawyers-- what do you expect???

In particular, alteration of (including colorizing it!) the Husky logo or UW
seal without official authorization may compromise UWs rights to enforce the
same with other licensees. Sucks I know... but don't ask why, it just is.
Having been through this little excercise before for a different project, I
recommend you check with the UW licensing office for authorization and details
about how you may use UW logos before they find you. It's not difficult and
they cooperate pretty well with students, but just make it official.

For example, the logo you propose is probably not acceptable because you have
modified the "Dawg" logo, but the following is a crude example of a logo would
probably be OK:

[Image]

Now if you really wanted to get interesting you could roll your own.

Thanks for the prototype and best of luck!

JSR

Chris Thibodeaux wrote:

> since i made the original half-assed logo i figured i'd give richard's

> idea a try. here are a few minor variations on the same theme:

> http://216.162.215.189/tmp/lug.html

> if i can find a bigger husky logo i can make a larger version as well.

> adios,

> chris

> On Sat, 1 Dec 2001, Richard Lotz wrote:

> > Zach,

> > great job on getting a new design up. I personally would love to see the

> > BSD Daemon and Linux Penguin on the logo, hell we could even throw a

> > blowfish in there :) My view for the group is to open it to all

> > Free/Open source Unix variants out there.

> > I noticed that our resources page has some pretty outdated information.

> > Maybe someone could donate their bookmarks to us?

> > On Sat, 1 Dec 2001, Z. Frazier wrote:

> > > hi everyone,

> > > i have finished the working version of the new clubs webpage. It can be

> > > found at: http://students.washington.edu/zfrazier/new/index.html

> > > why not "http://students.wash.../linux" you ask ? because i am a dork

> > > forgot the password...

> > > soon though... :)

> > > anyways, i would appreciate any and all feeback. it would be absolutly

> > > wonderful if you cdould send me more linux and expecially more general

> > > unix/bsd links for the resources page. Also, i am thinking of updateing

> > > the image of tux in front of the "W".

> > > Some ideas...

> > > a tux and BSD dameon standing on each side.

> > > a tux sitting next to the new uw logo.

> > > any other ideas? or do people like a floating detached penguin head?

> > > please let me know if anything looks absolutly broken or ugly in any

> > > browser. I have tested it in newscape 4.75, and mozilla 6.1, and of

> > > course Lynx...

> > > Let the complaining commence!

> > > -zach

> > > Zach Frazier