I'm having problems doing a text mode upgrade from RedHat 6.2 to Redhat 7.2

Jeff Silverman jeffs at kant.ee.washington.edu
Tue Dec 4 22:31:58 PST 2001

I am doing a text mode upgrade on an old server from RedHat 6.2 to
RedHat 7.2. It detects that there is a RedHat installation on
/dev/hda2 and then it says that the file systems were not dismounted
properly, reboot, run fsck, and reboot.

So I rebooted into single user mode, ran fsck, restarted the upgrade,
and I get the same message.

So I started again, only this time, before it tries to mount the file
systems, I go to another virtual terminal, arefully created a mount
point, mount each file system, unmount it, and it still complains. It
also doesn't say which file system is dirty, which would be... helpful.
This server has 2 IDE drives, a CD-ROM, and an IDE tape drive. The BIOS
understands all this, but I understand that Linux ignores the BIOS.

Does anybody have any advice?

--
Jeff Silverman, sysadmin for the Research Computing Systems (RCS)
University of Washington, School of Engineering, Electrical Engineering Dept.