our webpage... sorta...

Michal Guerquin mikeg at u.washington.edu
Tue Dec 4 22:39:15 PST 2001

On the note from Richard Lotz:

>Also, the BSD is copyright (it should be easy to get permision though),

>and I'm not sure about the blowfish.

I bring to attention Marshall Kirk McKusick's (creator of Beastie, BSD's
Daemon) note on the whole copyright issue:

http://www.mckusick.com/beastie/mainpage/copyright.html

which states:

---
Statement on the Use of the BSD Daemon Figure:

The BSD Daemon is copyrighted by Marshall Kirk McKusick. Usage of the
daemon is permitted under the terms described below. Several of the shirts
shown in this web page were produced by others after obtaining written
permission to use the daemon. The copyright of the derivative artwork
remains with the shirt producer; such copyrights are noted in the
descriptive text for the shirt.

Individuals may use the daemon for their personal use within the bounds of
good taste (an example of bad taste was a picture of the BSD daemon
blowtorching a Solaris logo). When reasonably possible, I would like the
text ``BSD Daemon Copyright 1988 by Marshall Kirk McKusick. All Rights
Reserved.'' to be included. This text need not be etched into the figure
or garishly displayed when using the daemon as say an Icon in a web frame.
A good example of how to handle the due credit in a web page is to create
a link from the daemon picture to the following text:

BSD Daemon Copyright 1988 by Marshall Kirk McKusick.
All Rights Reserved.

Permission to use the daemon may be obtained from:
Marshall Kirk McKusick
1614 Oxford St
Berkeley, CA 94709-1608
USA
or via email at mckusick at mckusick.com

If you want to mass produce the daemon on Tshirts, CDROM's, etc you need
to request permission in advance. In general, I require that the daemon be
Aused in an appropriate way. This means that it has to be something
related
to BSD and not expropriated as a company logo (though I do allow companies
with BSD-based products such as Scotgold or WindRiver to use it). I regret
having to be so legalistic about the daemon, but I almost lost the daemon
to a certain large company because I failed to show due dilligence in
protecting it. So, I've taken due dilligence seriously since then.

Marshall Kirk McKusick
January 1995
---

That's his stance at least. Now we've just gotta play nice.

~ Michal