Is it possible to convert a file system from EXT3 -> EXT2?

Ethan Merritt merritt at u.washington.edu
Mon Dec 10 10:30:09 PST 2001

On Monday 10 December 2001 09:25, Jeff Silverman wrote:

> So what I need is a tool that will run under trinux that will convert

> EXT3 to EXT2 filesystem,

This should not be necessary. The on-disk structure of an ext3 file system
is the same as for an ext2 file system. The only difference is the addition
of a journaling file + journaling mechanism. So an ext3 filesystem should
mount fine on a system that only knows about ext2. You just don't get the
benefit of the journaling.

> or else a tool that will run under trinux that

> will enable EXT3 on a RH6.2 system, or else I need to get a new system

> disk and install RH7.2 with EXT3 support from scratch. Blech!

None of that should be needed. What sort of error messages did you get?
Why don't you try booting from a rescue disk (e.g. the one Dave Dittrich
posted about recently) and running e2fsck on your system disk.

Ethan A Merritt merritt at u.washington.edu
Biomolecular Structure Center Box 357742
University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195
phone: (206)543-1421
FAX: (206)685-7002