Is it possible to convert a file system from EXT3 -> EXT2?

Peter Abrahamsen peidran at u.washington.edu
Mon Dec 10 14:12:49 PST 2001

Something I don't think has been mentioned in the other replies is that ext3
filesystems may be mounted as ext2 only if they are marked as clean. It's
possible that, as someone said, you can run e2fsck to salvage the
filesystem. Otherwise, you'll have to mount while booted from a kernel which
understands ext3. The 2.4-series kernels with alan cox's patches contain
such support, as well as vanilla kernels after 2.4.15 or so.

Good luck, and hope that helped.

Peter

--
Peter Abrahamsen