fetchmail + UW-IMAP + ?

J. M. Macpherson mmac at u.washington.edu
Mon Dec 17 00:39:30 PST 2001

Greetings all,

I write to inquire if anyone has had success using fetchmail with
UW's IMAP server since it stopped supporting plaintext connections. The
server comment has two interesting tags: «LOGIN-DISABLED» and
«AUTH=GSSAPI». I think this means that I need Kerberos on my system,
because that's the standard way to authenticate without logging in as
such. However, from skimming the Kerberos docs, it looks as though it's
going to take a lot of time to learn about and configure properly.

I'm willing to go learn about Kerberos, but I wanted to ask if
this is the right path, or if there's an easier route. Actually, since my
goal is simply to have the computer (Debian potato on a Dell Inspiron 7000
BTW) automatically get my dante mail for me, if someone has a
non-fetchmail solution I'd love to hear about that too.

Thanks,

Mike Macpherson

Hi again,

Fetchmail compiled against SSL does exactly what I want. Thanks
very much.

Mike Macpherson