Set up samba.

William Rowden rowdenw at eskimo.com
Sun Dec 23 08:47:05 PST 2001

I'm grateful for the comments, Cliff.

Today, Cliff wrote:

> For your purposes of file-transfers, you don't need to have the

> linux box be the master browser. You also don't want to be a

> domain controller. Comment out those lines in smbd.conf.

The following lines are comments in "smb.conf":

; local master = no
; domain master = yes
# preferred master = yes

Perhaps I'll try un-commenting "local master = no". First, I'll try
the following, though:

> I have found that "share" level browsing has worked for me quite

> well as opposed to the default "user" mode.

[snip]

> Another trouble I have had is making sure the subnet addresses

> for all boxes are the same. If you are running a class c

> network, the subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0 with broadcast

> address of 192.168.0.255.

Currently it's set to "user". I'll try "share"--and check the Win98
network settings--next time I'm there. I can access the Linux
server remotely but I can't test the Windoze boxes remotely, so I'll
report back later.

> Also, keep in mind that it takes some time for netbios names to

> show up on a win9x box after rebooting.

Yes, I noticed that.

> Can you give us the output from "smbclient -L hurston"?

Here it is:

[root at hurston samba]# smbclient -L hurston
INFO: Debug class all level = 2 (pid 20335 from pid 20335)
added interface ip=192.168.0.1 bcast=192.168.0.255
nmask=255.255.255.0
Password:
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[HARLEM] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.1a]

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
tmp Disk Temporary file space
IPC$ IPC IPC Service (Linux Samba Server)
ADMIN$ Disk IPC Service (Linux Samba Server)

Server Comment
--------- -------
HURSTON Linux Samba Server

Workgroup Master
--------- -------
HARLEM HURSTON

The password was null, btw.

> William Rowden wrote:

> >I find this broadcast network frustrating, though, as

> >shares disappear as they time out and reappear on use.

[...]

> >From the Linux box, "smbclient -L" works for all Linux and Win98

> >shares. The only difference is that the Win98 boxes consider one of

> >themselves the master, while the Linux box considers itself as

> >master.

[...]

--
-William
Well, I'll just go get hit by a truck and come back.