Set up samba.

Cliff cliffo at u.washington.edu
Sun Dec 23 12:55:06 PST 2001

No problem. See below...

William Rowden wrote:

>Perhaps I'll try un-commenting "local master = no". First, I'll try

>the following, though:

I would definitely give this a try.

Also, the output you provided from smbclient tells me that samba is only
seeing itself on the network. If everything was set up correctly, you
should see other workgroups as well as all the specific computers in the
hurston workgroup. For example, here is the output from my computer at
work...

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
public Disk Public Stuff
IPC$ IPC IPC Service (This ain't Windows and
never will be!!)

Server Comment
--------- -------
SMEG
SMEGMA This ain't Windows and never will be!!

Workgroup Master
BLAH SMEG

In this case, smeg is a win2k box and is the workgroup master for the
"blah" workgroup. You should see something like this when you run
smbclient -L hurston. The only time I have seen anything like this was
when the netmasks and broadcast addresses were set incorrectly.

Can the windows boxes see each other? Are there any strange router
rules preventing broadcasts from going through?