Set up samba.

William Rowden rowdenw at eskimo.com
Wed Dec 26 21:24:06 PST 2001

Thanks for joining the thread, Ryan!

Today, R. Hansen wrote:

> Could it be that iptables or ipchains is preventing the win

> machines from connecting? I spent several days kicking my first

> samba box only to realize that I hadn't opened the port. The

> machine would show up in Network Neighborhood but couldn't be

> accessed.

Checking ipchains sounds suspiciously like a good idea...

<typescript>
[root at hurston root]# ipchains -L --line-numbers
Chain input (policy ACCEPT):
num target prot opt source destination ports
1 ACCEPT udp ------ 192.168.0.254 anywhere domain -> 1025:65535
2 ACCEPT udp ------ ns3.cortland.com anywhere domain -> 1025:65535
3 ACCEPT udp ------ ns2.cortland.com anywhere domain -> 1025:65535
4 ACCEPT udp ------ anywhere anywhere any -> syslog
5 ACCEPT tcp -y---- anywhere anywhere any -> ssh
6 ACCEPT tcp -y---- anywhere anywhere any -> http
7 ACCEPT tcp -y---- anywhere anywhere any -> ftp
8 ACCEPT all ------ anywhere anywhere n/a
9 REJECT tcp -y---- anywhere anywhere any -> 0:1023
10 REJECT tcp -y---- anywhere anywhere any -> nfs
11 REJECT udp ------ anywhere anywhere any -> 0:1023
12 REJECT udp ------ anywhere anywhere any -> nfs
13 REJECT tcp -y---- anywhere anywhere any -> x11:6009
14 REJECT tcp -y---- anywhere anywhere any -> xfs
Chain forward (policy ACCEPT):
Chain output (policy ACCEPT):
</typescript>

It appears I need to run `ipchains -v -I input 5 -p udp -s
192.168.0.0/24 --destination-port 137:139 -j ACCEPT` and test the
Windows machines when I return to the office.

> After editing the firewall, everything worked perfectly...

I imagine the same will be true for this configuration.

--
-William
Let me 'splain. [pause] No, there is too much. Let me sum up.