Few questions (debian related)

Evan Martin martine at cs.washington.edu
Fri Dec 28 15:21:21 PST 2001

On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 03:10:05PM -0800, M. Oesterwinter wrote:

> 1. How do you change the @INC for perl?

On a per-script basis? Or overall? What are you trying to do.

> 2. What is the best way of installing perl modules on debian? Should I

> perl -MCPAN them all, or should I try to apt-get as many as possible?

> Should I upgrade perl with -MCPAN, or should I use apt-get? Can I

> automatcially configure the CPAN module for debian by apt-getting

> something?

You should do everything with apt.
I've never encountered a major Perl module that Debian was lacking
(except Net::FTPServer, which appeared in Debian the next week).

> 3. If I need to compile my own apache on debian, should I:

> 1. Download source and compile as usual

> 2. Download source package - (compile as usual?)

> 3. Create my own .deb??? - how?

Sorta use 2 and 3, if you're trying to do it "properly".
You'll have to read some docs, of course, but
apt-get source apache
gets the Debian source, and
debian/rules binary
builds the package.

I often just apt-get the Debian package, then compile the program and
replace just the binary:
# cp program `which program`

Though this may not work for Apache, because of the modules setup...

Why do you need to compile your own?

--
Evan Martin
martine at cs.washington.edu