Few questions (debian related)

M. Oesterwinter marcuso at u.washington.edu
Fri Dec 28 15:31:25 PST 2001

Evan, this is regarding freevote, so....

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Evan Martin wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 03:10:05PM -0800, M. Oesterwinter wrote:

> > 1. How do you change the @INC for perl?

> On a per-script basis? Or overall? What are you trying to do.

Overall. I know how to on a per-script basis. (use ....)

> > 2. What is the best way of installing perl modules on debian? Should I

> > perl -MCPAN them all, or should I try to apt-get as many as possible?

> > Should I upgrade perl with -MCPAN, or should I use apt-get? Can I

> > automatcially configure the CPAN module for debian by apt-getting

> > something?

> You should do everything with apt.

> I've never encountered a major Perl module that Debian was lacking

> (except Net::FTPServer, which appeared in Debian the next week).

Freevote uses about 20 perl modules, there were a bunch that I couldn't
find. To search for a perl module (say Net::FTPServer), would you
typically use "apt-cache search FTPServer" or what?

> > 3. If I need to compile my own apache on debian, should I:

> > 1. Download source and compile as usual

> > 2. Download source package - (compile as usual?)

> > 3. Create my own .deb??? - how?

> Sorta use 2 and 3, if you're trying to do it "properly".

> You'll have to read some docs, of course, but

> apt-get source apache

> gets the Debian source, and

> debian/rules binary

> builds the package.

> I often just apt-get the Debian package, then compile the program and

> replace just the binary:

> # cp program `which program`

> Though this may not work for Apache, because of the modules setup...

> Why do you need to compile your own?

Brad hacked the default apache....

One other question, can you downgrade with apt-get without uninstalling?
Say you installed a program from testing and then wanted to use stable?

Thanks.