tunnel across linux and bsd howto

Evan Martin martine at cs.washington.edu
Mon Dec 31 01:45:38 PST 2001

On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 12:24:55AM -0800, Aaron wrote:

> # If you wanted to break the rules you would likely find that

> # tcp/5000 would not be blocked by the router ACLs on dorm subnets.

> Just don't do anything that might get the server noticed. It's not

> uncommon for a res. hall computer to have its switch port disabled

> when it draws attention to itself and is found in violation of policy.

> It may not always happen, but it's a risk one takes by violating

> policy. Just something to keep in mind.

I was planning to stream MP3s via SMB from my dorm machine (which has
all of the music) to my mother's house (where I was for the holidays).

I figure sending a huge amount of data over the "here is the port we
monitor for servers" is a bad idea. At least with my tunnel it's
encrypted. ;)

--
Evan Martin
martine at cs.washington.edu