Announcing a beta release of Red Hat Linux: "Fisher" (fwd)

M. Scholz msperrin at u.washington.edu
Tue Feb 6 13:35:27 PST 2001

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Thor wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 10:53:01PM -0800, Mike wrote:

> > Sure it's a snap for the initiated, but (many) others do exist who install

> > and don't even know that they're running services at all.

> It is surprising the number of these folks (those who do not understand

> services in a server and how to turn them off) who deploy systems with unused

> exploitable services in internal and external networks. _Very_ surprising.

--Begin Rant--

Not so, grasshopper. This is _exactly_ the same reason that windows
95/98/ME is so much more popular than Linux. John Q. Public is not
interested in _figuring out_ what they need to do to make their machine
secure. Hell, most people don't even want to take the time to install
virus checking software on their computer. They just want to plug it in,
turn it on, and have it WORK. And a working computer, for most people -
myself included, does not include a remotely accessible Linuxconf, an
FTPd, a telnetd, samba, sendmaild, or anything else, they just want
networking, and to have their ISA cards work. For all of their security
nightmares, the constant crash capability (CCC) and stupid proprietary OS,
Microsoft did their marketing research.

--End Rant--

Seroiusly, I think that without some sort of quick and easy to understand
patch utility (not automated, but easier than RPMfind.net) this security
issue is going to continue into the next 3001 generations of Linux
distributions.

This is my typical rant, please ignore as usual.