Network not working - But everything is setup fine?

michael scott frank msfrank at u.washington.edu
Tue Feb 6 16:54:02 PST 2001

Do you have other machines on your hub? can you try pinging those? The
way you describe the problem sounds like a routing problem. If you aren't
using dhcp (i don't think you would be having this problem if you did),
then you should know your default gateway and your subnet, so double check
those.

Otherwise, have you tried using the NIC in another machine? A rare
possibility is that your NIC may be slightly damaged in some way, mangling
packets on the way out or doing some other undetectable oddity.

If it still doesn't seem to work, you could try running tcpdump in the
background while attempting to ping, telnet, ftp, etc, then analyze the
log. If you don't understand networking very well, you could post the
results on the list, or (since it is sometimes frowned upon sending large
files on a mailing list) you could send it to me directly and i'd be glad
to take a look at it.

Michael

Michael Frank /v\
msfrank at u.washington.edu // \\