X4 upgrade problem

R. David Whitlock ryandav at u.washington.edu
Thu Feb 8 13:44:49 PST 2001

I know it never helps to hear this after the fact, but remember to back up
config files like XF86Config before you do updates/upgrades. I often just
tar my whole dang /etc directory, since this is where almost all conf
files _should_ live, and its often quite small to begin with.

I recently did this update (2 weeks ago) on another person's machine, and
we didn't get any errors like that, so I don't think its a system-wide
problem. Doesn't apt leave behind copies of the config files that it
writes over, something in the same directory? I would start with that
first. Also, check and see if you are still running the same XServer that
you think you are (check the link in /usr/bin/X11/something to see where
it points, svga or whatnot). You can also have dselect choose a new
XServer for you, have you tried de-incrementing to a previous version of
X?

Hope something here helps...

-David

"If PacMan had affected us as kids, we'd be running around in dark rooms,
munching pills and listening to electronic music"
-iso